registering functions from two different projects

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hi Keith,

May i please seek your help regarding a issue that I am facing. Following your example (your vs2008 compatible xll in http://kalx.net/xll/). i created an xll project (say project1 ) and had some user defined functions in there which worked perfectly. Now I added another project (say project2) with some more user defined functions. What I oberve is when i select project1 as the start up project (by  right clicking on the solution->properties and then selecting starup project) i see my functions from project1 and the project2 functions are missing (that is functions defined in project2 do not show up in excel). When I select project2 as the start up project project1 functions go missing.

Also when I use multiple startup project I see only functions from project1.

Also both project1 and project2 independently depend on the project xll (which you have created).

It would be kind of you to give some pointers as to how I can resolve the issue of all the functions in project1 and project2 to show up.

Best

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Excel only registers the add-ins in each project/xll. Either load both xll's or create a new project with the source code from both projects.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM

sorry i was not clear. I took your solution from http://kalx.net/xll/.

The name of the visual studio solution is xlladdins.

It has 4 projects under it (example,test, utility and xll).

I added one more of my own called project1 (by right clicking on xlladdins and then addin new project ) and added code to it and that worked fine.

Now I tried adding project2 following the same method (by right clicking on xlladdins and then addin new project) and added code.

What I observed is if i make project1 as startup project then i see functions of project1 and similar things for project2 (I am in the debug mode when i am experimenting this). 

Now are are suggesting to individually load two projects ? 

Best

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM

You seem to want the add-in functions you are writing from two separate projects. Yes, load both. It's a method. If you only want to only load one add-in, then create a new project with the source code from both projects. That's how it works. Computers only do what you tell them to do.

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hi Keith,

May I please bother you with some more stupid questions. Please bear with me as I am learning through this process. How do I load the two project simultaneously. When I go inside the debug directory of each projects I see files like project.DLL.embed.manifest, project1.obj etc. Which one should I load and how (I am in the debug mode when I am executing one of the project). Also I want the projects to interact with each other what should be a good design to do it.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am trying to learn and you are the expert.

Best
Kaushik

On Aug 28, 2012 9:51 PM, "keithalewis" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
Aug 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Essentially what I am trying to achieve is have master container which holds all the dlls from the different projects. So when I load the master I load all the rest.

Best

On Aug 28, 2012 9:51 PM, "keithalewis" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

You seem to want the add-in functions you are writing from two separate projects. Yes, load both. It's a method. If you only want to only load one add-in, then create a new project with the source code from both projects. That's how it works. Computers only do what you tell them to do.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (xll@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email xll@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM

If you didn't like my solution to this, maybe you can get by with the Excel add-in manager. Microsoft designed it to solve this problem.