Walk through FP data type

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Can anyone recommend a walk through how to use the FP datatype to exchange data with excel? I'm new to xll. I've been using VBA so far and would like to learn about the new possibilities I can see using the xll library
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Please have a look at http://xll.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FP and give me some feedback on how I can improve that.

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Thanks for the link. I tried some things with the example code and it helped me getting going indeed.

What I did not realize was that the FP datatype was actually already defined when using the "XLL Addin project" already.
Also I didnt get the meaning of:

_FP* WINAPI

For a true novice like me it would be good to briefly mention

• what the example in the FP section is supposed to do
  • why the code snippets about the FP type are there (definition, function example)
  • e.g. by having some comments lines like in the demo function

But I have to say that mainly I needed the link and some time to "play around" and digest the - for me - not familar codes and types

Thanks a lot

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM

It is always tricky to figure out how detailed to make the comments. Let me know if my added comments help.

My main audience are people that already know C++ and want to hook that into Excel, so I tend to err on the side of laconic.